The evening I turned 38 a few months ago, I began making a list of things I wanted to accomplish. I realized that many of the goals I wanted to accomplish or the things I wanted to experience were fairly attainable. With some dedication and hard work, it wasn’t impossible, or even too difficult to cross some of the items off the list. I ended up coming up with 40 things I wanted to do, accomplish, or experience in the next two years, by the time I turned 40.
It is exciting and scary at the same time to know that this list of 40 things I am working on, some things I’ve wanted to do/accomplish/experience for many, many years will be completed in (less than) 24 months! I made a colorful list in the back of my planner and then realized this week, as I was starting my new planner for 2016, I’d have to find a place to transfer them over. I’m actually trying out a new planner format next year; it is more in a journal form, so there aren’t many undedicated blank spaces. As I thought about where I could put my list so that I can see it often and not have to go through another transfer next year, I thought about this space – my blog, this online document of my life for the so many years now. The place where I’ve sought peace, release, and solitude in the last 4+ years. What better place?
I’ll be updating this list as we go along and on September 5th, 2017, I hope to have crossed off everything on the list below. I also encourage you to make a list of things you want to accomplish. Don’t forget to give yourself a deadline to accomplish them!
Hanssie’s 40 by 40 List (compiled on Sept 5th, 2015)
- Pay off all Credit Cards Ha! *sob*
Get another tattoo (or two!)completed June 2017 (and yes, I got two of them!) Run a Full Marathoncompleted on October 11th, 2015 in Long Beach
- Start rebuilding my savings/retirement
- Get season seats to USC football
- Have a professional photo shoot of me representing my brand Meh, don’t need until I figure out what I want to build
Read fiftynon-fiction books (Read three so far…might have to make a separate list)much easier since I’ve been “reading” audio books during my commute each day
- Decorate the house
and get patio furniturethis may have seemed random but I’ve been talking for 10+ years about getting patio furniture and I finally did in April 2017
- Hire a housekeeper
Visit a country I’ve never been toWent to Belize March 2016
- Visit two states I’ve never been to Oregon and
- Be my own boss
Get an Apple Watchcompleted 1/7/15 – a Christmas gift from someone special 🙂
- Volunteer for a cause I love
Paint a picturecompleted 10/1/15 at Paint Nite
- Go to the rib cook-off in Nevada
- Get 10k followers on Instagram
- Visit Hearst Castle
- Blog regularly again and get 500k+ visitors a month
- Become an expert at something/Learn to do one thing really well
Get health insurancecompleted October 2016 See the chiropractor and acupuncturist regularly (twice a month)Ongoing
- Have 14% body fat
- Speak at a conference
Complete a Spartan Racecompleted Septmeber 2016 and August 2017 Participate in a Ragnar Racecompleted April 2017 Visit a National Parkcomplete 10/1/15 in Yosemite Take a real vacation (not a working one) in Hawaiitook one in DC in October 2016 so I’m counting it!
- Learn to Salsa Dance
- Learn to play a song on the piano/guitar I started it but haven’t learned it yet
- Fly first class somewhere
- Take the Kidlet to two places she’s never been before one complete 11/20/15 to China/Taiwan
- Create something that goes viral
- Have one Me Day/Pamper Day a month
- Learn to meditate at least 10 minutes a day
Get a new MacBook Proit’s actually my work laptop, but at least I’m not writing on my 2011 Dinosaur Pro anymore Plan an exciting and fun 40th birthday adventureGoing to Vegas to party!!
- Preserve our family photos did one album
- Run the NYC Marathon didn’t get my named picked in the lottery for the second year in a row
- Be featured in a print magazine (not photography related)